Talking about using condoms
You had a condom in your pocket, you’d planned to use it, but once you started having sex it seemed such a hassle to discuss it. You were thinking about something completely different ... But now you’re worried that you’ve got an STI or that you’re pregnant.
Sounds familiar? Safe sex seems so easy, but how do you talk about it?
Tips for talking about condoms
- Plan in advance when you want to talk about condoms. If you’ve just met someone, you don’t want to talk about safe sex straight away. But if you wait until after you’ve had sex, it’s too late of course.
- Think beforehand how you’re going to talk with your partner about condoms and what you’re going to say. Practising in advance makes it easier to talk when the time comes.
- Be clear! Just say that you don't want to get an STI, and that you don’t want to get pregnant, or get your partner pregnant. That way there’ll be no misunderstandings.
- Just grab a condom and put it on yourself or on your partner. You don't need to say anything and it’s immediately clear what you mean.
- Ask a friend how they go about it.
- Make sure you always have condoms with you (even if you’re female!), and even if you’re not planning to go to bed with someone. You just never know.